Every electrician can make their life easier by owning these must have tools and accessories. Being an electrician is tough, you have to pass all sorts of exams, get certified, sometimes diagnose hard to find problems, all while keeping yourself and others safe. Electricity is so important in today’s life that civilization as we know depends on it!
These tools will keep you organized, safe and more productive so you can finish projects easier and faster! And that translates into more profits and productivity! During 2021, with more people at home than ever, electricians will be in higher demand due to growing power needs – check out our recommended tools to upgrade your setup.
Fluke T5-H5-1AC Kit 3 Piece 1000V USA Electrical Tester
This 3 piece kit includes voltage, continuity, and current test (a Fluke T5) helps you reliably check areas all-in-one eliminating the need to carry multiple electrical diagnostic tools.
With the T5, you just set volts, ohms, or current and this test handles everything else for you. The OpenJaw current allows for testing currents upto 1000V without fear of tripping the circuit. The test leads fold neatly in the back of the tester for easy storage or allows hanging on your tool pouch.
Reviews online are excellent and the safety ratings are category IV. Fluke designs its tool to be reliably accurate which is important when working with electrical circuits and wiring!
- Three piece kit for electrical testing convenience – includes a voltage, continuity, and current tester – Fluke 1AC II. Also includes non-contact voltage detector and a holster
- T5 1000 tester measure VAC and VDC with precise digital resolution for accurate testing
- Range for T5 1000 tester is 100 V RMS, with resistant displays to 1000 and #937; 1AC II non contact detector detects 90 to 1,000 VAC; safety rated of 1000V Category III, 600V Category IV rated; Fluke 1AC II detector has a safety rating of 1000V Category IV
FASITE 32-POCKET Electrician Tool Belt
If you are a professional electrician, this is defintely a must-have, especially for projects or jobs that require you to be on a ladder. A proper tool belt allows you to store tools you will need without having to go back and forth to your toolbox, this is especially important when working on a ladder as ladders tend to cause accidents and injuries. This can also save lots of time and energy.
The right tool belt has plenty of pockets for typical electrician tools as well as hammer loops, tape measure and a steel hammer holder. Tool belts should also be made of tough material such as nylon or heavy grade polyester. At the same time, they shouldn’t be so heavy that they will bring your pants completely down! (That’s for plumbers).
Premium tool belts will include padding for your back as well as suspenders to keep your pants from being pulled down from the weight of tools. We think this is one of the best rated tool belts money can buy:
- Durable 600D polyester, waterproof, wear-resisting
- Dynamic purpose tool belt: 32 pockets, 2 hammer loops, 1 steel measuring tape holder and 1 steel hammer holder.
- Size: 11.5×8.7×3.9（2×）inches. Adjustable heavy-duty belt, with a max size of 48 inches.
- Ergonomic design and superior material: good quality, very light, versatile, strong and sturdy. Comfortable to wear.
- Large capacity and functional: can hold hardware, garden, electrical, and car tools.
- Designed for professional tradesmen who work at heights and walk long distances on a daily basis with comfort in mind.
Electrical Pliers: IRWIN VISE-GRIP Multi-Tool Wire Stripper/Crimper/Cutter with Locking C-Clamp
Electrical pliers are a must for any active electrician who frequently has to strip and cut wires often which might be every professional electrician!
The right pliers strip cut various gauges of wires and have a special nose to allow for pulling and looping in of wires. Some pliers also include bolt cutters to so precision lead threads are created.
Pliers should also have insulated crimps and non-insulated terminals. Some pliers are self adjusting. Normally pliers are available in 6, 7, or 8 inch models. Comfort should not be forgotten, any standard plier should have plastic insulation around its handles with some texture or rubber grip for easier handling and no slips. Always try to buy equipment that meets or exceeds ANSI standards.
Premium features include AWG selection dials, spring-assisted jaw openings and quick-release locks.
We searched the internet to find what we think are the best electrician pliers, this tool is reasonably priced and includes a C-Clamp.
- Wire cutter with induction hardened cutting edge for sharpness that lasts longer
- Strips and cuts a variety of wires: 10-22 AWG
- Special Pliers style nose allows wire stripper to pull and loop in wire
- Built-in bolt cutter cuts bolts down to size and creates a perfect lead thread
- Crimps both insulated and non-insulated terminals
Electric Screwdriver: Tacklife SDP50DC Cordless Rechargeable Screwdriver
Electric screwdrivers allow you to work faster which helps you get more work done, especially higher value tasks electricians perform.
Electric screwdrivers also give your hands a break - have you ever used a old fashioned screwdriver for more than fifteen minutes? You can cause sores on your skin from the friction, especially if its a tight fit. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have one of these.
Popular features include cordless/rechargeable power options do you do not have to plug them in. The newer models charge by USB ports. Some models features LED lights for better visibility and include various driver bits. We found this highly rated model on Amazon that is also extremely well priced!
- 30+1 set of screw-bits - Exclusive driver bits that can be used for a large number of projects. The 30pcs driver bits are 25mm(1”) specification and 1 piece extension bit holder is suitable for putting together household and commercial furniture, blind installation and window coverings, storage options such as cabinets and shelves
- Functional features - A removable rubber cap can be removed allowing for installation of other attachments, expanding the screwdrivers use. LED lights help lighten dark areas for better visibility and an on/off switch helps make screw driving and screw removal easy.
- Well made and easy to use: Features an inline trigger grip for better handling and control; Lithium Ion Battery 2000mAh for durable power; plugs into USB power source via micro USB to USB charging cable (included), so it can be charged from a variety of areas, including a computer with a USB ports. It also features a nice design that is modern.
- Well-sized for easy carrying - Can be comfortably held or attached to your electrician tool belt for easy accessibility.
Electrician Tool Set: Klein Tools Journeyman ProPack Apprentice Tool 14-Piece Set
A must for any serious electrician, or frankly anyone working in a trade is a tool set. While there are many sets with varying levels of tool, we find the best ones are apprentice tool sets.
They have the essentials that you will use most often. It is important to buy one of high quality, so you do not have to buy them again, or worse yet have them break during a job.
We really like Klein Tools as they are known for being tough and are made in the USA (a rarity these days).
- Made in the USA
- Klein Tools is a globally known brand for tough, dependable and quality tools
- Pliers are designed for greater cutting power and can be safely used for tough jobs
- Pliers feature hot-riveted joints for greater stability during use
- Screwdrivers feature cushion grips handles for greater torque and comfort and less skin irritation
Torpedo Level: Klein Tools Torpedo Billet Level with Rare Earth Magnet
An essential tool for ensuring fixtures and other mounts are level, torpedo levels are still heavily favored today despite newer digital solutions including apps on your mobile phone. Why?
Well a dedicated torpedo level requires no batteries, no fidgeting around, and uses old school technology to deliver hard to beat accuracy. While some sets include torpedo levels, you'll want to invest in one that will last few years and take a beating. We like this one from Klein Tools that is made of durable aluminum.
- 4 easy to read level dials that identify 30, 45, 90 degrees
- Precision surface level which is machined flat for increased accuracy
- Made of strong aluminum
- Orange finish so you can easily find it on a job site
Screwdriver Set: Performance Tool W1727 39-Piece Screwdriver Set
If you find yourself in many odd projects that frequently require working on screws of odd sizes, you may want to upgrade to a more complete screwdriver set. Common when working on machinery or parts from around the world, a comprehensive screwdriver set will prevent any delays and hair-pulling moments. We found this very reasonably priced (yet high rated) set.
You should still own some insulated screwdrivers of course, for those times when working with circuits that may be live for added protection!
- High quality chrome vanadium blades and power bits
- A wonderful storage rack that is included to keep all the screwdrivers organized with a built-in magnetizer/demagnetizer
- All screwdrivers features comfortable grips that do not slip
Magnetic Tip Nut Driver Set: Klein Tools 630M 3" Hollow Shank Magnetic Tip Nut Driver Set
Another must have tool are magnetic tip drivers. While not as frequently used a standard screwdrivers, it is good to own a set for those jobs that need it. This set from Klein Tools leverages rare earth magnets in a timeless design. The set contains 1/4 inch and 5/16 inch hex size drivers with 3-inch shaft lengths for ease of use and maneuverability.
- 1/4 inch and 5/16 inch hex sizes in 3 inch shaft lengths
- Magnetic tips to easily grip and handle fasteners
- Color coded for organization
- Cushioned handles for comfort and long project
- Made in the USA
Hacksaw: HAUTMEC 12" Heavy Duty 2-in-1 Hacksaw Frame
A hacksaw is one of those tools you may infrequently use but when you need it, you'll wish you had one! They are used for a variety of projects so it is a good idea to have one regardless if its electrical in nature. Many times, you'll need to access to an area that is not reachable without hacksaw materials or a frame wall. We like this reasonably priced Hautmec Hacksaw.
- Straight and flush cut high-tension positions
- High tension up to 400 pounds
- Well designed grips are cushioned so you can use your hands the next day
- Made with rugged cast aluminum alloy frame
- Storage compartment for six blades
Straight Claw Hammer: Estwing Straight Rip Claw with Smooth Face & Shock Reduction Grip
If you do not already own your own hammer, you should be ashamed of yourself. If you have one, and it is in need of a replacement, you'll want to make sure it features all the latest comforts. You'll use a hammer often so it makes sense to invest in something good that will last, unless you enjoy shopping. We like the Estwing Hammer - made in the USA and available in different weight sizes.
- One piece design - for reliability and durability
- Rip claw for removing nails, demolition tasks and splitting wood
- Patented grip helps you be more accurate while taking it easy on your hands
- Made in the USA with American steel
Long-Nose Pliers-Side-Cutting: Klein Tools 7-Inch
For hard to reach places, you'll be grateful you've ordered long-nose pliers. We recommend those with side cutting functionality to make it easy for wrapping and lopping especially while standing on a ladder and such to avoid having to use multiple tools.
- US made steel
- Induction hardened, long-lasting knives
- Knurled jaws excel as wrapping and looping
- Handles are plastic dipped so they are easy to find and locate
Adjustable Wrench: Stanley Adjustable Wrench
An absolute must-have tool, is an adjustable wrench. Personally, one of my favorite tools - I get an almost zenlike feeling from adjusting then wrench with its roller adjuster. Adjustable wrenches are great because they allow you to carry fewer wrenches. That means less weight and more space for other tools. While one medium sized wrench will suffice, you can find sets of three and so forth. We like this one from Stanley, a well-known brand:
- Tension spring stabilizes dynamic jaw for easy handling
- mm jaw scale for effortless adjustment
- Made of forged chrome vanadium steel
- No slipping with bi-material handle
Magnetic 25-Feet Tape: Kutir
Another one of my favorites and must used tools. A good reliable tape measure is almost used hourly by most professionals in the field. It allows us to conduct jobs with accuracy and plan projects better. Magnetic tapes straighten out for easier use and have the climatic automatic return (watch your fingers boys and girls). We like this well rated, reasonably priced measuring tape from Kutir.
- 25 foot length
- Dual side with feet, inches, and metric units in large text
- Magnetic construction allows for more accurate measurements by eliminating tilt of tape
- Shock resistant so when you drop it, it doesn't break into pieces
- Chrome plate housing
Learn about Advance Ballasts and other tools by visiting our homepage
Need help with Advance Ballasts? Visit out home page for help.